Essentia Health’s NDIS Capacity Building Clinic
Essentia Health Clinics, through the leadership of the Australian DBT Institute, has developed a unique NDIS Capacity Building Clinic for individuals with complex mental health presentations. Using a trauma-informed Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT-TI) informed framework, our NDIS Capacity Building Clinic offers specialist support for individuals with self-managed and managed NDIS plans with complex mental health presentations access Essentia Health’s services from our clinics Melbourne and the Gold Coast as well as our Telehealth Services and Stabilisation Retreats in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.
Services of our NDIS Capacity Building Clinic
- Support Coordination This is a fixed amount for a Support Coordinator to help you use your plan.
- Improved Living Arrangements Support to help you find and maintain an appropriate place to live.
- Increased Social and Community Participation Development and training to increase your skills so you can participate in community, social and recreational activities.
- Finding and Keeping a Job This may include employment-related support, training and assessments that help you find and keep a job, such as the school leaver employment supports.
- Improved Relationships This support will help you develop positive behaviours and interact with others.
- Improved Health and Wellbeing Assessment, training or therapy to help increase your skills, independence and community participation. These services can be delivered in groups or individually.
- Improved Daily Living Examples include training, advice and help for you to move from school to further education, such as university or TAFE
- Improved Life Choices Plan management to help you manage your plan, funding and paying for services.
- Improved Learning Including exercise or diet advice to manage the impact of your disability. The NDIS does not fund gym memberships.
Essentia Health’s NDIS Capacity Building Clinic is a specialist service with a focus on choice, improved capacity, access to services, and recovery! Although we offer support coordination, we happily work with external support coordinators to ensure individuals access the most relevant Essentia Health services.
Essentia Health Clinics including Gold Coast, Melbourne, and our Telehealth Service DBT Assist accept referrals for individuals with NDIS plans for specialist counselling, recovery coaching, and specialist support coordination. We are a specialist service supporting individuals with emotion regulation difficulties and complex mental health concerns. We do not offer plan development services as our focus is on psychology, mental health, and behavioural skills development as well as specialist plan coordination.
The NDIS measures each case individually and therefore there is no clear eligibility checklist. However, individuals who experience a disability because of their mental health, and are likely to be eligible for individualised NDIS support.
What is psychosocial disability under the NDIS?
Psychosocial disability is a term used by the NDIS to describe a disability that may arise from a mental health issue.
Not everyone who has a mental health condition will have a psychosocial disability, although for people who do, it can be severe, longstanding and impact on their recovery. Individuals with a disability as a result of their mental health condition may qualify for the NDIS.
Evidence of Psychosocial Disability form
Evidence of Psychosocial Disability form (PDF 482KB) – to be completed by your most appropriate clinician, and your support worker or appropriate person. This evidence form makes it easier for people with a psychosocial disability and supporters to collect evidence for NDIS eligibility.
It is important to note, you still need a completed Verbal Access Request (VAR) or Access Request Form (ARF). This form is a collaboration with the Department of Social Services funded Transition Support Project team at Flinders University.
Everyone who applies to the NDIS must meet eligibility criteria. These include age, residency and disability requirements. You must also live in an area where the NDIS is being rolled out. To find out more go to How to apply.
Further information is available on the Australian Government NDIS website at https://www.ndis.gov.au/understanding/how-ndis-works/mental-health-and-ndis
Referral to NDIS Capacity Building Clinic Services
- Option 1: Complete the referral form below and Erick from our clinic will be in contact within one business day
- Option 2: Contact Erick from our clinic via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone Tuesday til Fridays between 9am and 5pm on 07 5647 3438